Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Wander

Yesterday I went on a wander around the surrounding woods. It was a relatively warm day and I found many interesting things as well as seeing a deer with spots, Red Ear Slider, hawk (unsure what species), Red fox, squirrels, Great Blue Heron, rabbit, and several interesting plants including nightshade and Wild Comfrey. Here are some pictures I'd like to share from my wander.

This caught my eye the moment I saw it. It was on a slight hill on the edge of a large area of dirt in a construction site. I took the picture then decided to find out what whatever animal that made it was trying to bury. I found a strip of raw animal hide about 4 inchs wide and 6 inchs long. Almost looked to be untanned deer hide, no chew marks visible. My guess is its the work of a fox hiding its meal to allow it to break down a bit before eating it.

Squirrel tracks in mud.

I found this Red Ear Slider in a creek. He dove in from the bank where he was hiding under some grass. He wasn't too bitey which is how most of these water turtles can be.

Letting the turtle go

I'm not sure what kind of mushrooms these are but they were all over this small part of the creek. I was struck by how many there were and how much they contrasted with the leaf-litter and roofs.

Nightshade (Silverleaf?). It was all over a field behind the library. It has very distinct fruits (seen here in yellow) which look like little watermelons when they're younger.

1 comment:

Svakanda said...

Owen! I've got my bowdrill set in good working order finally! You remember that rock with the really deep socket I had? Well it didn't work so well after I made a stronger bow...too much friction on the 'sides' of the spindle, and it would slop around a lot. I found the perfect fix! Beeswax!

It gets soft and melty at hot tempuratures, and I just stuffed a couple of chunks into the socket and ran it a few times and it molded into a SWEET socket. Works really well too! Im excited! I'm using a cedar spindle right now, but I have basswood, yucca, and willow also!

we all miss you much!