Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Pottery


Well, the pottery I'm working on is nice and dry and ready to fire. It's supposed to storm tonight, and I'm not sure about tomorrow, but next clear day I'll get onto firing my pottery. I have one small bowl and another that's more like a small personal cooking pot, or a drinking cup. I used clay collected at MAPS Meet 2007, so I'm anxious to see how it turns out. I've used clay from New York and local clays found in my backyard, and they've turned out alright, although they needed a bit more firing. I'm going to put the pieces I have done in the past that weren't quite done, in with this batch. I've taken my time drying these pieces, so that the risk of exploding is reduced somewhat. No cracks are visible so that's a good sign.
I also collected clay from the Little Patuxent River. When I collected the clay it was very wet so I allowed it to dry somewhat, then put it in a bag to prevent it from drying out completely. I'll update on how that clay goes later.

No comments: