Friday, January 29, 2010

Embera Basket and Tattoo

My uncle Rex and I visited the Embera village of Tisupono today. Located within a national park, it's accessible only by dugout piloted by the Embera. I'll have a post up with details of the village once I upload the pictures and videos, but for now here are a few pictures of what we brought back with us.
Here is my first artifact of our visit. It's a traditionaly made Embera basket, produced by weaving palm fibers that are dyed with natural materials (yellow is from a root, brown is from wood chips). They boil the fiber along with their dyes much the same way you would dye quills.
They call these tattoos but they are more like henna. They use a dye from the Jagua fruit to produce a body dye that can last up to a month. This particular one will most likely last 6-8 days.

No comments: